Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Top 10 Cereals That Leave The Tastiest Milk

Some cereals leave milk so good at the end, that I look forward to it more than I enjoy the cereal itself. My list seems to skew towards cinnamon, but that is only because cinnamon is great.

10. Frosted Flakes - In my mind the epitome of sugar cereal, it is inedibly sweet, but the milk is nicely sweetened. I suppose you could just add some sugar to your milk, but it won't dissolve nearly as well and would require some rigorous stirring.
9. Cookie Crisp - The leftover milk is pretty good, except that, like Cap'n Crunch, it is greasy with puddles of oil in the milk, which is always disconcerting, and so I put it near the bottom of this list.
8. Life - One of the few times when the cinnamon variety is not as good as the original; Life leaves a milk that is a great flavor but too weak. Also, it is difficult not to leave a milk that doesn't have little Life pieces of straw in it, and that ruins it.
7. Special K Vanilla Almond - I always get it in my mind for some reason that Special K is healthy and plain, and therefore pass over it, but it's actually fairly sugary with good texture. The Vanilla Almond leaves especially good milk because it is probably the sugariest one and has a bit of vanilla as well as honey in the undertones.
6. Honey Nut Cheerios - As far as honey-flavored cereals go, Golden Grahams is superior, but the Bee-sponsored cereal leaves a sweeter, and therefore tastier, milk.
5. Cocoa Krispies - I like Cocoa Puffs and Cocoa Pebbles far more but those corn-based chocolate cereals just don't leave as much chocolate goodness in the milk as the Krispies does, which seems to spill into the milk like dripping paint. Just like chocolate milk, but better somehow. (Cocoa Puffs, by the way, is the best cereal of the three if you can time the puff-milk saturation just right and leave a softly-giving epidermis into the firmer, but not crunchy, dermis.)
4. Fruity Pebbles - Similar to Trix, but with more surface area, the resultant milk isn't so much fruity as it is rainbow-flavored, but rainbows are delicious. Fruity Pebbles is, incidentally, probably my favorite sugary cereal.
3. Boo Berry - A highly underrated cereal, probably because it is difficult to find, but its blueberry-sugar flavor dissolves into milk quite nicely.
2. Cinnamon Toast Crunch - An intense and unabashed sugar and cinnamon rush, but sometimes a little too sweet, depending on how quickly you eat the cereal.
1. Apple Jacks - Leaves a delightful pink/orange-hued residual milk that is the perfect balance of sweetness and cinnamon, even if it doesn't taste like apples.


Speaking of cereals and hippies, I used to buy Good Friends cereal now and again. On the box, they profile a pair of friends, one of the silliest ways to sell a cereal. Anyway, they once had a woman on it so unattractive that I couldn't stomach the cereal with the box sitting in front of me. I stopped buying Good Friends cereal after that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I ate Honey Nut Cheerios for breakfast every morning for months on end in elementary school. I had a stomache ache every third day. I used to think i was slighly lactose intolerant, but it was just the Cheerios. I blame my social awkwardness on General Mills.

The good news is I had a really easy time understanding Einstein's theory of gravity as the deformation of space by mass. It's exactly what Cheerios do in milk, which is why the last few floating in the bowl clump together like that. Cheerio gravity.