Sunday, November 11, 2007

Success!

So I have a minor fixation with pizza. Other things I (pretend to) have fixations with: ponytails, pocky, diet coke, the little mermaid, flan. Anyway, New York is the best town for pizza. It's also the best town for a lot of other things, like friends, but let's stick with pizza. Seattle is a crappy town for pizza. Seattle is generally underwhelming when it comes to food, but the pizza is spectacularly bad. People will say something like "the pizza at this place is so good" and then I go there and realize people here have no idea what good pizza is. Thin, with a nice crust that is chewy and not a cracker, not too much sauce, not too much cheese. The only place I've had a really good pie in Seattle is at Serious Pie, which isn't really NY style, but is thin and puffy and delicious.

I have spent a lot of time making pizzas from scratch. They are never really that good. Always too crackery and not chewy. Probably better than the average slice here in seattle, but not necessarily worth the effort, and certainly not better than what you can get for $2 in new york. (Strangely, a slice of shitty pizza in seattle is $3. Bastards.)

This flusters me because pizza can't be that hard to make. This is logically true. At least one person on every block in new york city knows how to make a decent pie.

Finally, this past week, I have made good pizza. Not corner pizzeria, but fancy old-style NY pizza like at Grimaldi's or Lombardi's or John's, etc. I do not know if I'll ever be able to recreate it again because I just eyeballed everything, but hopefully I can; I remember most of what I did, and remember how everything felt. Tonight I made a classic margherita with some ricotta:






My roommate calls it the best pizza she's had in Seattle. I should open a restaurant. I can sell pizza and General Andy's Chicken, the best-selling foods of New York.

No comments: